Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chinese Tea Marbled Eggs

I know I know....It's been done....A lot.....But stay with me here. Since I have just started this blog, I just wanted to start something I knew I could do in a day and that will turn out ok. More challenging stuff to come, but for now this is will due. I hate not having anything posted.

Well, let's get right to it then. You know, I always found it at least a little annoying that all of the typical Steampunk themed snacks are European, or rather English, in origin. I know it's because a great many of them were inspired by English afternoon tea, and that many people have characters from England, but the Victorian era was an era of worldwide expanse. The Victorians loved to travel, and this would be even more so in a Steampunk universe. So I decided to try to post "Steampunk" themed recipes from all over the world, so look forward to Indian, Japanese, Thai, American, Italian, French, Chinese, Mexican, and more! These tea eggs would be perfect for a tea party, banquet, picnic...Well, anything really. The marble design resembles lace, perfect for Victorian themed events.

I tried to make this a recipe all my own, which can be hard to do with something that's so common. Just when I think I have an original take on this, someone else already did it. But I think I got something I could call my own.....Though it still might need a bit of tweaking.

Ingredients:
6 Eggs
Water (But of course!)
2 Tablespoons Black Tea
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Anise Pods
1-2 Cinnimon Sticks (Broken in Half)
4-5 Cloves
About 1 Tsp Crushed Schezuan Pepper or Black Pepper
The Zest of 1 Clementine
A Splash of Rice Wine
A Dash of Salt

After the clementine is zested and ingredients are gathered, place the eggs in a sauce pan large enough to hold all of the eggs without crowding them. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer for 12 minutes. I would recommend turning the eggs every so often to keep the yokes centered.

This pot is actually a little large, so I only filled it about halfway. As long as you cover the eggs.

Boil Boil Toil and Trouble
After the eggs have been simmering for 12 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice cold water until you can touch them easily, saving the cooking water. After that, take each egg and tap with a metal spoon, making a lattice design, but DO NOT PEEL! That's the most important part.
It's a little dark, sorry.
Place the eggs back in the water, and bring once more to a boil. Add all the remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer for another 2-3 hours, adding water periodically.
After 2-3 hours, remove from heat and drain eggs. I placed the eggs in cold water once more to make them more manageable.
After the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel off the shells. You should see a beautiful web-like design on the egg.
End product. Aren't they pretty?
And a close up!
The eggs have a very mild flavor, vaguely salty and with a slight anise flavor. The pepper I added did come through. Next time, I might simmer them for three hours instead of two. Feel free to alter this recipe to suit your liking and please tell me how it turned out for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment